Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Surrender




(Photo -- NEW! -- Bandy, last night at Harlem Meer. Note, ID bands on both legs.)
 
Usually when heading to Central Park, I grab a home made tape for my Walkman without looking closely at what it actually is.
 
I enjoy having a variety of music from rock to semi-classical on nature walks and over the years, it's funny how certain songs conjure up certain images and memories.
 
I can't hear the 80's rock song, "Sister Christian" (Motoring) without seeing the Turtle Pond goose family on the Central Park boat lake this past summer. Or the song, "I Got You Babe," from Sonny and Cher without being on Jones beach some summer decades ago.
 
Last night, I grabbed a John Denver tape.
 
I don't believe that any other music from any other singer quite fits so perfectly,  the spirit and feeling of spending time with the animals of Central Park.....
 
I was apparently wrong about the four geese who magically showed up at Harlem Meer a few days ago.
 
First of all, its not four geese, but actually five.  Secondly, I don't believe now they are migratory geese at all, but rather, the family of four geese (two parents and two goslings) who stayed at the Reservoir over the summer.  Last August, when able to fly, the family left the Reservoir to fly to the "gathering" site for waterfowl in Central Park, Harlem Meer. That is where and when the "loner" goose joined up with them.
 
The five geese were then apparently harassed away from Harlem Meer not to be seen again -- until now.
 
The fifth (or "loner") goose was not seen several nights ago, because although s/he generally is accepted by the family of four, (and chooses to hang with them) s/he is usually some distance away and not part of the actual gaggle.
 
I now have a name for the loner goose who I am guessing to be a gander because of his seeming independence and usually high neck and body posture.
 
I call him, "Bandy" because he has ID bands on both legs.
 
Bandy apparently lost his mate or family somewhere along the routes of wherever he originated from.  Fortunately, for him, the Reservoir goose family accepts his presence as long as he doesn't interject too closely.
 
I was wrong about something else, too.  
 
Figuring the geese to be migratory, I expected them to quickly depart the Meer.
 
But, they have been at Harlem Meer for the past three days.
 
And their presence has seemingly attracted a whole lot of new mallards.
 
Harlem Meer has literally been hopping with all kinds of waterfowl activity over the past three nights!
 
Two nights ago, warmer temperatures, a full moon and the presence of the geese brought about (once again) the "drunken sailor" mode of the ducks.  Lots of chattering conversations, running and chasing about and yes, the inevitable "bar room duck brawls" that one becomes accustomed to seeing when there are geese to act as sentries for the raucous and unrestrained mallards.  
 
The family of four geese meanwhile sat almost poetically on the water watching with dignity and curiosity, both the activities of myself and the "crazy" ducks on the lake embankment. But, as previously speculated, geese do seem to take "cues" from the mallards, (no matter how "daft" the little quackers seem) as the family ventured much closer to us than the first night discovered.
 
Then again, they may have been taken cues from Bandy.
 
Unlike the family of four (fairly shy) geese, Bandy bravely ventured on to the embankment the other night after seeing Brad and his mallard pals approach me.
 
It was then I noticed the two bands on his legs and remembered seeing a two-banded goose over the summer at Harlem Meer.
 
In essence, the five geese at Harlem Meer now are apparently returnee "resident" geese and not migratory.  They might actually stay a while -- if not harassed of course.
 
Two nights ago, "Bandy" simply approached the embankment and cautiously observed.
 
At one point, Bandy stood on the edge of the grass, looked over the lake and called out a  slow and kind of pitiful, haunting honk.
 
He apparently still seeks the mate or family he lost.   The Reservoir goose family was only a few feet away when Bandy cried out to some invisible presence.
 
The image was sad and reminds me of those times Brad stands on the edge of the lake and stares out into seeming nothingness.   I know Brad still misses Angelina and looks for her almost constantly.
 
But, with geese present, Brad too, is "different."
 
Perhaps just a tiny bit jealous of my attention to the geese, Brad has tendency to hover around my feet and confidently "demand" that I not lose sight of or forget about him when geese are present.
 
But, of course, I would never "forget" Brad.  He is the main reason I visit Harlem Meer each day.
 
But, it is so extra nice when there are also geese to see.
 
Last night was particularly beautiful and magical.
 
Brad was happy, chattering and even fluttering flightless wings.  The mallards were comparatively peaceful. The family of four geese drifted nearer in the water and sat comfortably in a neat row. And Bandy approached so closely, I was actually able to snap some pictures of the daring and photo-cooperative gander.
 
It is not certain exactly how long I stood there just taking in all the bountiful around me, but its as though I could literally feel my heart rising in my chest.  Had I dared to close eyes for a second, I think I would have drifted straight up into the air.
 
Finally and reluctantly leaving, Bandy too, flew back into the water to join the other geese, as Brad and a group of the "regulars" followed me along the grass or from the water to say their usual good night.
 
So high, was I, I could have flown over the tree tops.
 
But, feet on the ground, I walked with my dogs up the hill, and turned the volume in my pocket stereo back up.
 
John Denver singing.......
 
"Sweet, sweet surrender
Live, live without care
Like the fish in the water
Like the birds in the air...."
 
 
And I thought, what a perfect song for a perfect, perfect night.
 
This song sure to be associated forever with the beautiful images from last night.
 
 But not so much from circumstance, as from the fact it so perfectly fits all that is felt and experienced now.  -- PCA
 
 
                                                        ************
 
 

No comments: