Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Dog Days of Winter






(Photos:  1-- Goose squatting down for warmth on cold night.  2 - Wiggly,Piggly and Brad leading departure parade. 3-- Buster and gaggle following in water. - "Why are you leaving?")
 
The angry, bullying winds of Friday subsided substantially last night.
 
But, the cold left behind in their wake was in some ways, more insidious.
 
It was the kind of frigidity that is at first, deceptive.
 
"Ah, its not so bad out tonight!" one thinks when initially going outside.
 
But, walk around in the cold for a while and that perception eventually changes.
 
Because, its the kind of stony iciness that gradually seeps through clothes, gloves and bones.
 
So much so, that by the time you return home, nothing but a long hot shower is the only thing to warm you up.
 
Animals in the wild obviously don't have the option of hot showers to thaw the body, bones and spirit.
 
Rather, they seek refuge in trees, vines, weeds, marshes or water.
 
I therefore, should not have been surprised when arriving to Harlem Meer last night to not find "my" resident geese and ducks in their usual spot.
 
But, with the news in recent days of goose harassment at Prospect Park, my first (paranoid) suspicion was that the goose chasers had invaded Central Park and sent all the birds packing.
 
"Oh my God, where is everyone?  Don't tell me......!"
 
But, then remembering back to a couple of weeks ago when, during a brief cold blast, most of the ducks and geese had taken refuge in weeds and marshes surrounding the Meer, I realized I would have to walk around the entire lake to actually know what the situation was.
 
Something I did not exactly relish considering my hands and thighs were slowly turning into frozen entrees.
 
But, hearing some goose honks emanating from the west side of the lake and feeling both, relieved and inspired, I decided to trudge on with my two dogs, Tina and Chance.
 
"Onward Christian soldiers!" as the adage goes.
 
Leaving some sprays of millet seed for the few mallards who had gathered in the usual spot, my dogs and I set on our relatively short journey around the lake.
 
Sure enough, three gaggles of geese were gathered on the west side of the lake, along with about 15 to 20 mallards.  They were huddled and somewhat hidden from easy view among the tall plants and marshes.
 
Seven geese and a small group of the mallards approached me along the marshes. I quickly tossed some black sunflower seeds upon the rocks and weeds and the birds eagerly went for them.
 
But, of course, I was mainly looking for Brad, Piggly and Wiggly, the three domestic, flightless ducks.
 
Walking further along, I encountered a number of people walking with their dogs and it occurred that on this very frigid night, the only runner seen on the entire trip to the Meer was a young man running with his dog around the Reservoir!
 
Apparently cold weather brings the dog people out and sends the joggers and cyclists to the indoor gyms.
 
An odd kind of realization considering that running (next to hot showers) is the best way to quickly heat up.
 
But, in New York City, it seems the hotter and more humid and miserable the weather, the more runners and cyclists in the park!    But, the minute the temperature plunges, the exercisers become an extinct species in the outdoors.
 
I don't think I will ever understand that.....
 
After engaging in some pleasant talk with fellow dog people, I continued on the trip around the lake.
 
Small groups of other ducks and geese were also near the outer edges of the lake. (I counted about 40- 50 geese in all and about a similar number of mallards.) Watching the shy geese move towards the water as I approached, I figured them to be among the migratory population.
 
Finally, I had almost circled the entire lake and still not found the "Bradly Brigade!"
 
But, as I neared the point of entry to the Meer and the "usual" meeting spot, there were the three ducks swimming around and looking indignantly at me as if to ask, "Where the hell have you been?"
 
And no sooner did Brad and his two charges eagerly hop the embankment demanding their treats, did Buster arrive, loudly honking with his gaggle, seemingly demanding answer to the same question. 
 
"Well, its not MY fault that you guys weren't here when I showed up!  Thanks for making me walk all around the lake on a freezing night!  I shouldn't give you guys one pumpkin seed!"
 
But, of course I did.  Or, rather what was left of the seeds and other treat.  Much of it I had already tossed to some of the ducks and geese encountered around the lake.
 
But, boy were the birds hungry last night!
 
Buster and Brad grab at and shared the treats in my hand as the other ducks and geese practically trampled me in getting to the seeds on the ground.
 
Even the few sprays of millet I had earlier tossed were completely wiped clean and normally the geese and ducks aren't crazy about those.
 
I regretted that I had not brought more.
 
The food quickly gone, I took out my small camera to shoot some photos of the geese and ducks squatting down in sitting position (for warmth) and stretching necks to eat seeds from the ground.
 
Buster, still hungry, pecked at my camera.
 
"You silly goose!  This isn't food!"
 
(I guess we now know where the expression, "silly goose" comes from.)
 
My hands frostbitten at this point and the food entirely exhausted, I quickly grabbed my dogs and began to move away.
 
And once again, Brad gathered Piggly and Wiggly and Buster, his loyal six and they all began to follow me out of the Meer.
 
A colleague informs me that this is the birds way of questioning why you are leaving.
 
And yes, I have to admit that makes a great deal of sense and jives with the behavior observed.
 
The geese and ducks apparently consider those humans who know and feed them to be members of their flocks!
 
Flock members don't leave.
 
But, freezing humans do have to leave.
 
We are anxious to return to our heated homes and hot showers.
 
I am still amazed that wildlife is able to withstand and survive the brutalities of extreme weather without the amenities that we humans have become so accustomed to.
 
As I slowly thawed out later under the rushes of a steaming shower, I wished that I could have shared some of that warm water with the ducks and geese.
 
"Old Man Winter" has arrived to New York City.
 
And while it may be temporary fun for some long-haired, fluffy dogs, it is not fun for the ducks, geese and probably most wildlife who actually have to live in it.  -- PCA
 
 
                                                            **********
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: