Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Peaceable Frenzy of Winter


Kindly gentleman offering treat to newly arrived Canada goose on Valentine's Day.
Central Park in its tranquil winter beauty last night.
The frenzy of the hungry mallards on ice.
Mallards following human footprints in the snow.
Tire tracks, human footprints and the mallards.
And once again, all is quiet and serene.
Though I had not seen geese in Central Park for at least two weeks, the flock of twelve that Bandy presumably is part of, magically showed up on Valentine's Day.
.
There is something fantastically coincidental over the years that Canada geese just seem to pop up in Central Park on all the special, human holidays days of the year. -- Something that is particularly joyous and celebratory to me.
.
It has prompted this nature lover more than once throughout this blog to wonder if the geese secretly have a calendar?
.
Seeing my treasured geese once again was not the only thing to light up the traditional night of hearts and flowers.
.
There were actually a few kind hearted folks sharing treats with both the geese and mallards. -- Something I personally had not witnessed at Harlem Meer since late summer.
.
Perhaps that too, was a specialty of the particular day. A time when people are a bit more others directed and generous with gifts.
.
Whatever the reasons or coincidence, it was simply nice to see both the geese again and some people opening hearts to them and their mallard pals.
.
As for the birds themselves, the boldness and confidence of the geese to brazenly  walk up to people and accept treats from human hands seemed to embolden many of the mallards to do the same.
.
I am not sure if it was sheer hunger on the part of the mallards to take risks they don't normally take or encouragement from the geese that spurred them on, but it was the first time all winter I experienced mallards tugging at my pants and several others voraciously eating from my hand.
.
One thing for certain however: This has been a rough winter on the wildlife in New York City -- one that has seen virtually all their food supplies submerged under heavy blankets of constant snow and ice.
.
If the birds seem particularly "desperate" there is good reason why.
.
As almost always is the case, last night (by contrast) was a very different scene in more ways than one.
.
For one matter, weather had changed once again from comparatively mild temperatures of mid 30's to below freezing.
.
Oh, and of course there was more snow.
.
The snow and the winds were blowing fiercely when I entered the park last night. -- So much so that flakes invaded my eyes and caused temporary discomfort.  At times I actually turned my back to the seeming onslaught of tiny ice crystals against exposed eye lashes.
.
But, the scene itself was one of quiet and intense beauty all around, some of which I attempted to capture in photos.
.
.
Even the ducks stood like stoic dark statues silhouetted against the pale white of frozen ice and snow.
.
But, like the "calm before the storm" this picture too, rapidly changed.
.
Immediately upon recognizing me from far away, the mallards gathered themselves up in a type of frenzy to either fly or dash wildly towards my feet.
.
Before I could even toss the first kernels of corn or seeds from my bag, I was practically frozen in place for fear of stepping on desperate mallards in mad cluster at my feet.
.
The more brazen ones grabbed seeds from my hand -- something again rarely experienced from normally cautious mallards.
.
Within minutes everything of substance was gone and I guardedly pried myself away.
.
But even then some of the mallards attempted to follow me down a snow-laden pedestrian path.  "More, more, we need more!" they seemed to say.
.
One might have thought the scene quite romantic if not realizing its actual desperation.
.
But, finally I was away from the mallards and while exiting the park, took brief moment once again to take in its serene wonder and beauty -- especially when blanketed by newly falling snow.
.
A peaceable beauty that is only punctuated by the quiet desperation beneath it and the once again, absence of the geese.  -- PCA
.

.
                                              ***************

No comments: