Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dusty -- The Once Feral Cat Who Grieves for a Dog


Chance (left) soundly sleeping and Dusty taking advantage to quietly lie next to him and seek comfort.
Attempting to heal and reach out to another dog.
When he awakes, Chance may not be so accepting of cat in his space, but for the moment, everything was cool.
 Just when we think we know almost everything about animals, they turn around and surprise us.
.
After sadly having to have my beloved dog of 18 years, Tina, put down this past weekend, I worried over her surviving canine companion, Chance.
.
I rescued Chance around 8 years ago from AC&C where the then 10-year-old, purebred Pomeranian was to be destroyed for "Severely Aggressive" behavior. (It was humiliating for a fancy, powder puff pooch like Chance to find himself in the city pound.  He let everyone know of his extreme angst and displeasure by snarls, growls, lurches and numerous attempts to bite.)
.
Though at first, Chance was a risk to have around people, he got along surprisingly well with other animals, both cat and dog.
.
He and Tina especially seemed to form a quick rapport, perhaps because both dogs were of similar age, size and even coloring (though thankfully, opposite sex).
.
Because I was afraid of a lawsuit if ever attempting to adopt Chance out and he eventually biting someone, I elected to keep Chance -- especially as he was good with other pets.
.
Over the years, Chance became a very loving and devoted dog to me and quite trusting and generally sweet around other people -- even kids. Contrary to the "severe" behavioral rating he got at Animal Control and his easy acceptance of other pets, Chance is actually a very human-oriented and human dependent dog.  (As I write this, Chance is laying at my feet -- as usual.)
.
With that in mind, it is perhaps not such great shock that Chance has seemingly accepted that Tina is no longer with us -- "close" as the two dogs appeared to be. In fact, he seems relatively unfazed by Tina's passing (which, quite frankly, has been a great surprise).
.
But, not so with one of my cats, Dusty.
.
Dusty too, was rescued from Animal Control some years back when the feral kitten was to be put down for unsociability. But, he was also very sick with a severe Upper Respiratory Infection.
.
With treatment, Dusty survived the URI, but it left him with an impairment in the balance controlling part of the ears, causing him to walk funny -- like a drunk.  This, along with his shy and skittish demeanor virtually eliminated Dusty's adoption possibilities and so I kept him too.
.
Over the past six months or so, as Tina's health rapidly declined due to the ravages of advanced age, Dusty suddenly took to regularly rubbing his body across her face in what seemed gestures of affection, commiseration and perhaps even empathy.
.
Though at times appearing a bit annoyed with the suddenly amorous cat, Tina also seemed entertained and bemused by this free-flowing affectionate display. I think Dusty's enthusiastic gestures actually helped to lift Tina's spirits as a smile would come across her face.
.
But, suddenly and inexplicably, Tina was one day gone.
.
Though, as noted, I was more concerned with Chance's reaction to the loss of his canine girlfriend of 8 years, I did notice Dusty frequently wandering through the halls and apartment seemingly looking for Tina.  Who was he going to snuggle up to now?  Where was she?
.
But, perhaps the greatest sign of stress in a house cat is when they start peeing outside of the litter box.
.
A few days ago, I discovered Dusty suddenly peeing on my computer chair.
.
Upon seeing this, most people would become upset.
.
But, I realized then that Dusty was taking Tina's death particularly hard.
.
Since that time, I have been paying special close attention to Dusty and petting him every moment I can.  "It's OK, Dusty.  Your friend is gone now, but I'm still here.  Your other friends are still here. Everything is going to be all right."
.
Dusty seems to have been comforted by that and has since returned to his regular litter box habits.
.
But, perhaps the greatest sign of attempt to heal and reach out was today: 
.
A few hours ago, as Chance was taking a nap on the floor, Dusty quietly went over to lie down next to him.  (Normally, Chance doesn't like cats "in his face" or snuggling up to him.) 
.
I grabbed my camera to take a few shots and only wish now that I had done so all those times, Dusty mooched his body across Tina's face in loving and comforting gesture during her final days.
.
I guess I just didn't appreciate the significance and gravity of those overtures at the time.
.
But, I do now.  
.
Funny, how we normally don't think of cats as being particularly sensitive or "empathetic" to other animals and grieving upon their losses.
.
But, this once feral cat seems to demonstrate otherwise.
.
And just when we think we know almost everything about animals, they turn around and surprise us.
.
Sometimes, I think I know nothing at all.   -- PCA
.
.
.                                    
.
                                                   ***********

No comments: