Monday, December 29, 2014

The Joy of the Holiday Season (With the Geese and Horses of Central Park!)


"Honey, we need to talk about your tendency to wave your butt in the air!"
Some of our new migratory arrivals at the Reservoir in Central Park.
A young boy offering treats to the hungry geese and ducks at the Boat Lake.
A carriage horse lowers head for a pat by young child.
Horse alertly looking back as passengers depart carriage.
Angelina -- "I'm big and I'm proud!"
Many new migratory Canada geese and duck arrivals at the Jackie Onassis Reservoir in Central Park over the past few days -- a sure sign that the mild weather we have been enjoying in NYC recently is about to change. Normally, the late migrators arrive in December and typically stay in NYC for about six weeks -- or during the roughest parts of winter.
.
There are also a few more geese and many more ducks at the Boat Lake in Central Park -- this despite the inexplicable, continued harassment on them by Geese Police and the CP Conservancy. One has to admire the birds' sheer tenacity and adaptability.
.
It was particularly nice yesterday afternoon to note many people enjoying the geese and ducks at the Boat Lake as is typical for a Sunday, but even more so, during holidays. Families taking photographs of them and a couple of youngsters even navigating rocks to toss some treats to the hungry birds who are now attempting to fatten up before the real frigid temperatures hit and watercourses begin to ice over.
.
Though I too, had packed a full bag of cracked corn and sunflower seeds for the hungry creatures, it was gone in the blink of an eye. The geese, ducks and gulls were very intent to get what they could, while they still could.
.
Empty of all treats, I finally made my way from the Boat Lake in Central Park to the carriage horse hack line at 59th Street and Central Park South. 
.
Because we are still in midst of holiday season, lines of tourists and families awaited the horses who eagerly (and seemingly very professionally) dropped off one set of passengers and picked up new ones -- each time, alertly looking back to see who was going and coming.
.
Typically, people departing the carriages posed for photos with the horses taken by the carriage drivers and it was during these times, I got a couple of minutes to pet and coo to the horses.
.
While seeming to enjoy the attention and sweet talk, the horses were however, focused, like laser beams on what was happening around them and their work.
.
Appearing eager to "hit the road again," the horses swung their heads away from me as soon as new passengers embarked the carriages and moved forward without drivers even having to say, "giddy-up." A few of the horses even trotted as if reliving past glory days as racing trotters.
.
I marveled at the horses' dedication to duty and their prowess and enthusiasm.
.
But, most of all I marveled at their sense of joy and particular sensitivity to small children; one horse even lowering his head to receive the tender strokes of a toddler.
.
Sensing that some of the drivers were out of carrots and regretting I had none, I found a food market a few blocks away, purchased a bag of baby carrots and returned to the hack line.
.
One family had just departed from a ride and were setting to take photos with the horse. I offered a young boy of about ten-years-old a few carrots and showed him how to safely offer them to the horse by holding them in the flat of his hand.
.
A huge smile and giggle lit up the child's face when the horse gently swooped the carrots from his outstretched hand.  "Mommy, look! He likes me, he likes me!"  So happy was the boy, I offered him more carrots while his mom snapped a slew of photos.
.
Finally walking away, the mother thanked me profusely for the carrots to which I laughed, "Well, anytime you're going to see horses, make sure to have carrots!"
.
My only regret was that so busy was I with the horse, the boy and carrots, I had neglected to take photos myself.
.
My supply of carrots quickly down to a pitiful few as I had made my way through a number of engaging horses, I entered the park again to begin the long walk home. 
.
There was a huge white draft horse taking a drink of water at the trough after completing a ride.
.
"He's gorgeous!" I said to the driver.  "What's his name?"
.
"Her name is Angelina," the driver chucked seemingly amused I mistook a girl for a boy. "And she's a wonderful horse."
.
"Wow, she is bigger than most of the boys!" I laughed. "How old is she?"
.
"15." the driver smiled proudly.
.
"Would she like some carrots? I have a few." I asked.
.
"Absolutely!  She will want to go home with you then!"
.
Angelina apparently knew I had carrots as she gently and assertively pressed her nose at my bag.
.
Swoop, swoop, till she got the last of the carrots offered to her.
.
But, before leaving this time, I took a photo of Angelina's beautiful face which she was seemingly only too happy to pose for.
.
Finally walking home, I felt on some sort of spiritual high.
.
Though in the park nearly 4 hours, it had felt like mere minutes as seemingly every second had been taken up by either enjoying the plentiful geese and other water birds at the Reservoir and Boat Lake or the busy, bustling horses at Central Park South.
.
But, mostly it was the completely positive energy of everyone -- both animal and human -- all around me.  
.
I thought to myself, this must be what they mean when talking of "The joy of the holiday season."   Indeed, the day had been all of that -- and more.  -- PCA
.
.
.
                                                 *********

No comments: