Saturday, February 14, 2015

The First (known) Casualty During New York City's Arctic Freeze



Rest in peace, little coot. Ice, cold and starvation took its toll.
But, for the living, it is another day of struggle and holding on.
The bold and risk-taking mallards on icy running track.

When going to the Central Park Reservoir during these days of "Arctic Freeze," I try to prepare myself for anything.
.
Certainly, I have seen the struggle of the ducks and geese, especially over this last week of frigid temperatures and dwindling food supplies and open water. A few of the birds have appeared weak and disabled and I have had to assume that hawks or other predators are picking off the weaker ones when I am (thankfully) not there to see.
.
But, I wasn't really prepared to see the dead coot, frozen in the ice and snow along the south embankment this morning.
.
The image stung my soul and I could not help but question if there was something I could have done to prevent this pitiful and sad loss?
.
There are not many coots at the Reservoir. Just a few. Like the mallards and geese, they usually come seeking food when I am there. But, because they are slow and cannot compete with the much quicker mallards, I am unable to get much to them, despite earnestly trying.
.
Coots generally feed on aquatic plants, algae and small aquatic animals of which, there are virtually none at the nearly iced over Reservoir right now. Since coots are able to withstand frigid temperatures, I have to presume this little guy (or girl) starved to death.
.
Such is not a comforting thought to one who has been making an effort to get nourishment to the struggling water birds at the Reservoir. A birder on Facebook also informed this morning that a dead mallard was observed at the north side of the Reservoir. Thankfully, I did not see that.
.
Moving away from the dead coot, I proceeded to toss food to the anxious geese and mallards who had quickly gathered at the edge of the embankment. Life, as the saying goes, has to go on. 
.
As usual, some of the bolder (or more desperate) mallards flew on to the ice covered running tract to get first digs at food falling to the ground.
.
Within mere minutes, ever morsel of dry cat food, sunflower seeds, bird seed and whole wheat bread was gone. And yet the geese and ducks were still seeking and actually following me along the ice.
.
Snow is forecasted to arrive later today and by the morning, temperatures are set to plummet to near zero with up to 60 mph wind gusts. In fact, for the entire week, New York City will be well below freezing.
.
I have to consider that the two deaths observed by myself and another birder this morning will not be the last.  Our goal now is to simply try to keep such losses to a minimum. 
.
Rest in peace, little coot.  I regret that we could not save you during these trying and treacherous times.   -- PCA 
.
.
.
                                                      ************

No comments: