Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Six Geese a Laying



Snow and treats, the makings of a Merry Christmas for the geese of Christmas song.
"Hi Guys!  It wouldn't be Christmas without you!"
.
Such were my words last night to the small gaggle of geese who came to greet alongside the mallards at Harlem Meer.
.
Central Park was extremely peaceful and quiet with most people either scrambling for last minute gifts, or to make airline flights or preparing for Christmas church services   
.
But, none of those things held special interest or appeal to me.
.
I was exactly where I wanted to be.
.
And I was not entirely alone as member of the human race.
.
An African American couple celebrated the holiday, by tossing bread and other treats to some hungry mallards and geese who scampered gratefully on a pedestrian path to grab.
.
"That's nice that you take time do that -- especially on a holiday." I smiled.
.
"Well, its cold and they deserve a Merry Christmas too!" the man laughed.
.
"You might want to feed them a bit closer to the water, " I cautioned. "People complain when the birds walk on paths and poop and that could spell trouble down the road. We need to be discreet and protect the birds overall welfare."
.
Oh wow, we didn't think of that," the woman chimed in.  "Thanks for letting us know."
.
"Well,. its the world in which we live.  We just have to be aware." I said, smiling again.
.
At that moment, the wind kicked up and snow suddenly started to whip around.
.
Nothing quite said, "Christmas" as snow suddenly making an appearance!
.
After exchanging "Merry Christmases" with the cheerful and generous couple, I began to move on, feeling comfort and contentment that the ducks and geese had more than just me caring about them on this special and particular night.  It was turning out to be a nice and bountiful Christmas for them!
.
Walking home amongst the peace, serenity and slowly drifting snow of Central Park, I thought of some of the things to be especially grateful for this Christmas:
.
I am grateful that the "fab four" domestic ducks who spent the past year eking out an often precarious survival at Harlem Meer were finally rescued a couple of weeks ago and are now enjoying the good life in a safe and suitable home.
.
I am grateful to all the good people of the neighborhood -- like the couple met last night -- who looked after these ducks, cared about them and the other wildlife and even offered the occasional treat despite arbitrary park "rules." 
.
I am grateful to Caroline who helped greatly in both, the rescue and placement of the domestic ducks and I am most grateful to the wonderful people who took the ducks in.
.
I am grateful for my health and that my aging legs can still trek two miles in heavy, blowing snow (though last night was merely a dusting).  
.
I am grateful to all the good people devoting so much of their lives in trying to create a better and more peaceful world for the animals and for other humans.
.
I am grateful to be blessed with a loving, accomplished daughter who, despite the miles and circumstances between us, never fails to show her devotion and caring.
.
And likewise, I am grateful for the love of my life who though officially met 16 years ago, was in my life decades before that.
.
He didn't give me six geese a laying (I am able to find the geese on my own) and nor did he give me five golden rings.
.
He has given of himself.
.
And in the end, that is what Christmas and every day should be about.
.
To be able to give, receive and ultimately to be of and share ourselves.
.
For it is in others (including nature) that our genuine and authentic selves are nourished, reflected and to be found -- the giving and sharing of love the greatest gift of all.
.
Six geese a laying, you are found, loved and shared and may this coming year, your offspring hatch to experience the wonders of a new, peaceful and ultimately vibrant, dynamic world in which love and tolerance are the blood continually flowing through our veins.  -- PCA
.
.
.
                                                     *********

No comments: