Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Eve -- Coming Together




As is befitting most Christmas Eves in New York City, the night was clear and cold with a few bright, beconing stars in the sky.
 
I saw only one lone cyclist during the two mile walk both to and from Harlem Meer.
 
Then again, one would expect Central Park to be exceptionally quiet and devoid of human traffic on Christmas Eve.  That is OK.   There was a very serene and peaceful air about it.
 
Arriving to Harlem Meer with my two dogs, it at first seemed very quiet and just a bit eerie.
 
Hm, where is everyone?
 
But, as soon as I descended the cobble steps leading to the Meer, a chorus of loud goose honks gregariously rang out from the center of the lake!
 
And before my feet even hit the pedestrian path, Buster and his seven devotees took to the air a few feet above the lake and came skimming across the water like accomplished water skiers to greet me!
 
"Wow, such a greeting tonight!   And a Merry Christmas to you guys, too!"
 
Pulling out a handful of sunflower seeds and other treat from my bag, Buster walked up proudly and stood before me.  Once again, the gentle butterfly swooping bounty from my hand.  I quickly tossed other seeds and treat to Buster's charges and the group of mallards who had suddenly arrived to join them.   One of Buster's youthful companions boldly attempted to take some seed from my hand.  But, he was awkward and inexperienced. 
 
"Hey, my finger is not part of the banquet!"
 
Then, I felt a gentle nudging in the back of my ankle. 
 
I turned around to see Brad standing patiently behind me as if to ask if I had forgotten about him?
 
"Oh, I am so sorry, Brad!  I didn't see you come up!"
 
I pulled out some black oiled, sunflower seeds for Brad as they are his favorite treat to swoop from my hand.
 
Behind Brad, (a domestic, Rouen duck) were his two new followers and barnyard companions, Piggly and Wiggly.  Lacking the smarts and "future planning" of Brad, Piggly and Wiggly mostly go for the tiny tidbits of wheat bread mixed with the cracked corn and sunflower seeds. -- Brad needs to start teaching them about healthy eating!
 
With the Christmas "party" then in high gear, other geese arrived, both on the embankment and in the water to curiously observe what was going on.
 
It is a curious mixture of geese at Harlem Meer right now.  A combination of former resident geese and the migratory birds from the North who apparently joined them over the past two weeks.
 
The only way to know the difference between the two is that the families of migratory birds are a great deal more cautious and shy around people.  They are content and curious to observe from  the water, the routines of the Meer.  But, they rarely take the risks of walking up to humans like the resident geese and ducks boldly do.
 
But, like previous nights in recent weeks, the migratory geese seem to be extremely chatty and conversational with each other!
 
There was a flurry of honks and vibrant conversation going back and forth last night among the lively geese in the water.
 
Perhaps it is their way of keeping track of each member of the individual gaggles and families to be sure their members don't stray too far?
 
Or, perhaps they are "discussing" the flight paths for upcoming and further migratory trips or even whether myself and my dogs are to be trusted.
 
I of course, have no way of knowing what the actual topic of conversation is. But, there has certainly been a lot of it over the Christmas and holiday season!
 
Maybe the geese and ducks really do celebrate Christmas?
 
Indeed, I almost expected to see them exchange gifts!
 
Finally realizing I had exhausted the supply of cracked corn, sunflower seeds and naughty tidbits of bread (which the geese and ducks so love, but is considered "junk food" for them), I decided it was time for myself and my dogs to depart.
 
But, as Tina, Chance and I began to move away, Brad, Buster and their charges gathered themselves up to follow!
 
Ah, it is all too funny!
 
It is not because they wanted more food as they had all had their belly full and were leaving the remainder for the late-coming mallards and geese.
 
It is simply the birds' way of saying, "good-night."
 
Once again, Brad, Piggy and Wiggly were the mini parade with Brad always in the lead. 
 
And alongside them, Buster and his bashful, awkward six and some of the mallards.
 
And where the path takes on curve, all the birds took to the water and followed me to the lake's edge as I began to ascend the steps leading away from the Meer.
 
I turned around, but instead of bidding them a "good night," (as is the usual case) this time it was "Merry Christmas!"
 
"You guys have a very Merry Christmas and be sure to take care of and watch out for each other!"
 
I could swear Brad, Buster and their devotees were all smiling at me!
 
OK.  Call me crazy, birdbrain, pitiful, or the most extreme case of "anthropomorphism" on the planet.
 
But, if this is all fantasy, craziness and sickening anthropomorphism then I am quite content to live in this crazy avian world and rarely have to come down to the real one.
 
Walking home in the park under the chilly, star lit night with no people around, I was fulfilled and content.
 
Finally exiting Central Park at 90th Street and walking east on 89th Street, I finally encountered some humans.
 
Several seemingly happy family groups, dressed in fine clothing, entering St. Thomas Moore's Catholic church for upcoming Midnight Mass ceremonies. 
 
A part of me wanted to join them.
 
But, dressed in Parka, jeans and mud-smeared sneakers, I didn't quite look the part.
 
Additionally, I had two dogs with me.
 
And so, Tina, Chance and I stood for a few minutes and admired the lovely Nativity scene brightly lit up in the Church's small garden.
 
Joy to the World!  Peace and harmony reign again!
 
Usually on Christmas Even, I watch the Midnight Mass ceremonies from St. Patrick's Cathedral on television.
 
But, I had fallen asleep for a quick nap and awoke only to catch the end of it.
 
But, considering I had been listening to Christmas music almost non-stop for the past two weeks and had already been to a Christmas celebration earlier in the evening, it was OK.
 
God and spirit is, after all, all around us.  -- PCA
 
 
                                                           *************

No comments: