Thursday, December 8, 2011

"The Day the Music Died"




"Bye, bye, Ms. American Pie.
Drove my Chevy to the Levi, but the Levi was dry.
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singing, this will be the day that I die." 
 
Today is my birthday.
 
I am officially "old."
 
But, it is not the calendar that ultimately makes one feel old, but the events happening around one that presumably determine whether one feels happy, sad, young, old or somewhere in between all these emotional manifestations.
 
Right now, I am too caught up in a frantic effort with others to somehow stop the planned goose massacre in North Little Rock, Arkansas (to occur in a couple of weeks) to think much about "feelings" or chronological age.
 
I find myself hoping instead, for a miracle that neither money nor greetings can buy. 
 
This morning when on the Burns Park goose FB page, I came across a posting from a registered nurse that deeply resonated.  (Posted by Jennifer Duke, RN):
 
"Another letter to the council members and Mayor,
 
Good Morning! I am once again writing you. As you are probably aware those of us in the community devastated by the decision to reduce the Geese population at Burns Park in such an inhumane way have formed a "Coalition to Save the Geese of Burns Park" facebook page.    We formed this page to try and make a difference and to also bring some comfort to those of us suffering from this decision.
 
Below is a post from one of the cruel souls that you have promoted to carry out this inhumane act. These individuals are coming on our page and taunting us and posting very evil comments. Why would you want to give such power to individuals like the one below? What is wrong with our society? Respect life.  Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.   Do these words mean anything anymore?
 
I can no longer hold back my tears. This has become more than an issue to save tame, innocent Geese, but has been a true eye opener to the uncompassionate , cruel people living in society around me and my children.  I can only pray for God to protect my loved ones from these evil souls.
 
With my 41st birthday 2 days away and Christmas 17 days away this has always been a very joyous time of year for me. This year my heart is very heavy.  I have to hold back tears not wanting my children to see my sadness. I pray for strength from God and may God bless you and your family this holiday season and in the new year. Sincerely, Jennifer Duke RN

Posted by Darren Smith:  "So tuff. All this talk and no action. I kill my fair share of birds elsewhere. Im just doing this to PISS YOU OFF. I could care less about these geese. Poison them, drown them, shoot them, run them over, i don't care. I would love to see your face there so why don't you hop on a goose an bring your fat ass to the party and TRY and stop me. GOOD LUCK. Ill still be killing geese when this page is LONG gone. Put that in your pipe and smoke it you uneducated dumb ass."
 
It is truly dismaying that the North Little Rock, Mayor, City Council and Parks and Recreation people responsible for the planned goose massacre refuse to listen to impassioned and reasonable community members like Ms. Duke, but rather, choose to placate the bullying, "shoot 'em all up" mentality of Darren Smith and those like him.   (And then we wonder why we have a national "epidemic" of bullying in our schools?)
 
So far, the Mayor and Council have been contacted by HSUS, Geesebusters and other experts offering and suggesting non-lethal means to control goose population in Burns Park.
 
They have refused to listen to everybody (but those of the mind set of Mr. Smith apparently)..
 
1,200 petition signers, almost 1,000 people on a Facebook page (dedicated to trying to save the Burns Park geese) and NONE of it so far has resonated with decision makers who are simply set in their "plan" to thrust 100 shooters (with permits to kill two geese each) on less than 200 unsuspecting, defenseless geese in a 1,700 acre park.
 
If one does the simple math, then every goose in this park is targeted to be blown away just prior to Christmas.
 
They may claim the target is only "135" geese, but obviously the officials at North Little Rock never learned first grade math skills.  ("Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" -- Obviously not, the leadership of NLR).
 
I honestly don't know what it takes to stop this kind of madness, carnage and bullying mentality in a public park (other than massive public protest and major media coverage).
 
Reasoning doesn't work. Alternatives are refused  And the will of the people be damned.
 
It clearly is a case of the "foxes guarding the chicken house" and so far, they are successful in keeping the glare of major media exposure and truth out.
 
A few nights ago when walking home from a goose-empty Central Park, I thought about the 70's song, "American Pie" by Don McClean.
 
The song is a tribute to the deaths of 50's rock heroes, Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Vallens.
 
"The day the music died."
 
But, the music did not truly die then.
 
It is dying now with the silencing of both, the haunting and beautiful calls of the majestic Canada geese who once flew freely in our skies and the calls of the people who try seemingly in vain to stop a ruthless, and unjustifiable slaughter of resting wildlife in their public park.
 
Bye, bye, Miss American Pie.
 
When democracy dies, that is truly when the music too, goes silent.
 
In some ways, its good to grow old.
 
Presumably, one won't be around to witness the actual death knells of a society turned on nature and ultimately, itself.  -- PCA
 
 
 
                                                          **********
 
 
 
 

No comments: