Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Onward Christian Soldiers!"





Snow is, to me, an angels's blanket. It's purity, simplicity, peaceful quiet and the way it glitters and twinkles when finding slim slivers of sunlight. Its God's way of giving us a little piece of heaven in a small patch of time. ;)

I have always loved snow, even more so now than when a child.

Speaking of childhood memories of snow, I am reminded of an amusing memory (or, at least its funny now in retrospect -- not so funny at the time.) ;)

I was about 13-years-old. A blizzard had hit NYC and resulted in more than a foot of snow.

The schools were all closed and the city was pretty much shut down.

My friend, Mary and I decided it was a great day to go to Central Park!

We were the only ones dumb enough to go to the park during a blizzard.

It was probably the only time in my life that not a living soul could be found in the park.

But, there Mary and I were: Up to our thighs in snow drifts. Our boots filled with snow, our feet and legs froze and everything around us was a total "white out."

We were lost. With no discernable paths, signs or exits around us, but rather an endless canvas of white we had no idea where we were!

Each step in the heavy snow drifts was like trying to walk in quicksand with two ton weights attached to our feet.

"Oh my God, how do we get out of here?" I cried.

"I don't know!" Mary replied on the border of panic. "We're gonna die here!"

The falling snow blinded our faces. We could see nothing but an avalanche of white.

But, then we also started to see the humor and irony of it all and began to joke and laugh.

"Two dumb teenagers found frozen in Central Park! Snow girls! How is that gonna look on the headlines?" I laughed.

"Look, let's not panic," Mary said. "We have to keep moving!"

And then she began to sing:

"Onward Christian Soldiers!"..........

I started to laugh so hard, I almost peed in my pants.

But, I joined Mary in the "Onward Christian Soldiers!" chant and song.

The two of us trudged on, like German soldiers stupidly marching into Russia during WW2. The song served as inspiration.

Somehow, someway, Mary and I managed to find our way out of the blinding white light of the blizzard -- and the park.

When I finally got home and spent something like an hour running warm water over my frostbitten hands and feet, my Mom screamed.

"Were you INSANE? What would possess you to go to the park during a blizzard?"

"I don't know, Mom. Maybe we just wanted the chance to sing, "Onward Christian Soldiers."


*********

No comments: