Monday, April 5, 2010

What We Do and Who We Are


(Picture left: "Tiga" -- Tiga is a victim of divorce in his former home. Neither the husband or wife could take Tiga after the split. Because he is a "Chow" mix, we were requested to take Tiga from Animal Control. Really nice and friendly dog, though a bit skittish and confused in his new circumstances. Fortunately, for Tiga, one of our most experienced and reliable fosters, Cari, was able to take him. We cannot put any more dogs into boarding.....)


I haven't been writing much in the journal lately.

That's not because we haven't done any new rescues or, as always, are seeking good homes for animals already saved and (mostly) languishing in boarding.

I think its mostly because there's not a whole lot of "new" or insightful things to say that are not already covered in the many hundreds of entries here.

Or, perhaps its because after more than 30 years in Animal Rights and Rescue/Adoptions, there is a part of me seeking to slowly unwind from this.

I'd like to experience life from a more positive and optimistic place than the constant sorrow, disappointment and stress associated with animal abandonment, rescue and placement.

Of course all of that is easier said than done.

The dozens of desperate emails of animals needing rescue still come into my computer each day, as well as the many calls from either members of the public needing help with animals or Animal Control.

So no, one cannot simply "quit" this type of work, walk away from it and march into the sunset.

I have often compared Animal Rescue and Adoptions to stepping into quicksand or a stay at the "Hotel California" as portrayed in song by the Eagles.

"You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave."

Yes, rescue is a lot like that. -- In many ways, it completely takes over one's life and identity.

I have been seeking and trying to find other parts of my "identity" over the past few months.

This perhaps explains new and burgeoning interests in things like nature and photography.

There is actually quite a beautiful world out there -- if one can ever get away from the ties, responsibilities and burdens that bind and tend to take over the waking and emotional life.

I have always had interest in photography and the arts, since I was a kid.

But, more than 90% of picture-taking over the past two decades has been animals rescued and in urgent need of placement.

There is more to life than the train of constant sorrow.

I took a number of pictures over the weekend.

But, this time the nature or cultural shots outnumbered the ones of a new dog we rescued on Saturday.

Change is slow to come, but it does come.

I think as long as there is breath and vitality in me, I will always be involved with animal rescue and placement to some degree.

But, it won't comprise my entire life and identity.

There is more to life -- and to us, than just what we "do." -- PCA

******

No comments: