Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Memories and Match Considerations

(Picture left: "Lady" -- a memory and match consideration saved her)



Even though it has been a terrible month for adoptions (only one, so far) I nevertheless, pulled a dog from the shelter Euthanasia list yesterday.

There are many reasons why those of us in rescue pull certain animals, even when at capacity and scrambling where to put them.

Certain animals pull at your heartstrings, often for emotional reasons and/or memories of a past pet.

Such was the case with "Lady" (pictured).

She reminds me of Fawn, the dog I had for almost a dozen years, just prior to getting Tina, one of my current dogs. Fawn was a fantastic Lab/Whippet (and perhaps a little Shepherd) mix that I had adopted from the ASPCA when my daughter was about twelve-years-old.

Fawn was probably one of the smartest dogs on the planet and certainly, the most devoted. She was a great Frisbee dog and never needed to be walked on leash. (In those days, one could get away with walking dogs off leash, even in the streets. -- Something that would land one a hefty ticket these days).

Anyway, Lady reminded me of Fawn when I saw her picture on the kill list yesterday and of course, I had to call on her.

I was lucky to get the very last rescue space in one of the boarding facilities we use and last night I went to pick up Lady.

Lady arrived at the shelter as a so-called, "stray" although it's obvious, Lady was an owned dog. She's already spayed and in reasonably good condition -- except for the exceptionally long nails.

The long nails and elbow callouses on Lady make me think she might have belonged to an elderly or infirm person who was unable to walk the dog on a regular basis. Perhaps something happened to Lady's former owner.

Lady is a true sweetheart and well, yes, "lady." She is gentle, sweet and walks like a dream on the leash. She also seems lovely around other animals, including cats.

Lady is, however, an older dog (between 7 and 9 years) and that of course, could make Lady a tough adoption.

It took a while to walk Lady the 20 blocks to the boarding facility. She is obviously not used to long and vigorous walks.

Last night, when leaving Lady at NY Dog Spa, I also walked Daisy, the beautiful and very vibrant Retriever/Chow mix rescued last week.

Daisy is very frisky, enthusiastic and lively. A walk with her is a power walk. Fun, but you need to be fast and on your toes!

When returning Daisy to the boarding place, I spoke with one of the owners.

"It's hard to imagine Daisy formerly belonging to a senior citizen. Small wonder the woman had to give her up. On the other hand, Lady would be perfect for an older person. She's so easy, sweet and mellow. So often, dogs end up homeless because of people choosing the wrong matches for them."

"Dan" (not his real name) didn't say a whole lot in response. His expertise isn't in the field of animal matchmaking, but rather, general animal care.

But, he will learn, as we all need to learn who care about helping animals.

I rescued Lady yesterday, primarily because she reminded me of one of my former dogs, Fawn.

But, I also pulled her in order to have an older, easier dog for a mature couple or potential adopter.

Too bad, I can't call up Daisy's former owner and ask if she'd like to take Lady who would have been a far more appropriate dog for her.

But, it's funny how older people so often want and demand the younger animals or even puppies.

Daisy's a good example of what usually happens with those placements or (mis) "matches." -- PCA

No comments: